You are your child’s best and most important teacher. Your connection to your child’s school can make a major difference in the success of your child’s education. Here are some tips to help your child be a success at Chestnut Oaks Middle.
- Meet your child’s teacher. Go to Back to School events and Open House to meet your child’s teacher and learn about the day to day life inside the classroom. Your child spends over 6 hours a day here. See how your child spends the day learning.
- Keep on top of your child’s grades and attend all parent conferences. Look at graded papers that come home and grades that are put on parent portal. Discuss these grades with your child. Meet with your child’s teacher throughout the year to discuss your child’s progress.
- Make sure your child completes assignments and studies for tests. It is important that students reinforce the skills they learned at school. Please help them be prepared for the following day by completing homework and studying for tests. Your support reinforces the importance of education to your child.
- Make sure your child is at school and on time to school each day. Let your child see that education is something to be valued. Make sure your child comes to school on time daily. By being on time, you are teaching your child the importance of education and how to be successful in the world.
- Keep updated on events at school. View the school website regularly and look for flyers on events happening at school. Join us for parent sessions, student events, know what special events are happening at Chestnut Oaks Middle.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions! If you have a question or concern please contact your child’s teacher before any misunderstandings occur. We all want what is best for your child. By working together, we can help your child be successful. If your child is struggling in a subject, meet with the teacher to find out what can be done to help your child improve.
- Be positive about education to your child. Your attitude about your child’s education will help determine their success and motivation in school. When parents and teachers show that education is important, students develop a positive self – image towards their education. They are more willing to complete assignments, they are motivated to learn, and are more confident learners. This confidence will help them to become life-long learners.
- Encourage your child to be responsible for their learning. Help your child develop the skills to work independently and be responsible for his /her learning. When students are responsible for their own learning, they will strive to do their very best and enjoy their learning.
- Use outside resources to continue your child’s learning. Take advantage of what is around in the community. We are very fortunate to have resources such as our public library, the Sumter County Museum, and Swan Lake to help our students discover new and exciting things about their community and the world that they live in and they are excited about.
- TALK WITH YOUR CHILD! Ask your child about their day. Ask them what they learned and what they enjoy learning about. Studies show that kids do better in school when they have parents that are genuinely interested in their education. Enjoy what your child is doing. You might be surprised to learn something new from your child!
Here is a link to these and other tips to help your child succeed in school! http://www.colorincolorado.org/article/twenty-ways-you-can-help-your-children-succeed-school