What Should Parents do to Prepare for a School Emergency?
- Be sure your emergency contact information is current and correct. Contact your school secretary immediately whenever your work, home or cell number changes.
- Identify who is authorized to pick up your child if you are not able to respond. Make sure their contact information is current and correct. Please understand you child will only be released to parents and persons identified on the emergency contact list.
- Keep the school nurse informed of any medical conditions or physical limitations your child may have or medications your child may be taking. Provide the necessary medical supplies and medication for daily use and an additional supply to carry your child through an emergency.
What Should Parents do in the Event of a School Emergency?
- The most helpful parental responses to a school emergency are to remain calm and wait for accurate information to be sent to the number listed on your child’s emergency contact. The school staff and emergency responders have made preparations to deal with these incidents. Your cooperation in an emergency is essential to the safe and swift resolution of the incident.
- Please do not call the school.
- Please do not go to the school.
- Remain calm, follow procedures, and cooperate with school and public safety officials.
- Remain close to the phone listed as your emergency contact number.
- Obtain current information about the incident from: Sumter School District Web-Site: https://sumterschools.net or the following social media sites:
- Emergency pickup procedures are different than routine pickup procedures. In the event you are notified to pick up your child at school or at the designated family reunification site, bring a photo identification card. If you must send someone else to pick up your child, be sure it is someone who is listed on school records as an authorized individual, and they are in possession of a photo ID. Your child will not be released to anyone who is unauthorized or cannot provide appropriate identification.
- Follow emergency procedures. If you are asked to pick up your child, you will be asked to follow the checkout procedure established for emergencies. The reunification system was developed to ensure the safety of all students and it is vital that the procedure be followed.
- Remain in designated areas at the family reunification site.
- Be patient. It is essential that the family reunification procedure be carried out in an orderly manner so we can protect and account for all of our students.
See Sumter School District’s Website: https://sumterschools.net for more information. Please feel free to call Kathy Morrison, Intervention Coordinator, and (803) 469-6900, extension 504 if you have any concerns or questions.